- Item 71863 - Down-East Motel, Yarmouth, ca. 1938
- Contributed by Boston Public Library
- Item 71863
- 3291px x 2112px - 11.0"w x 7.0"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Boston Public Library
The Down-East Motel opened by Herb and Barb Ferrell in 1950 along Route 1 in Yarmouth, Maine. The Ferrells operated the motel and a Gulf gas station while leasing the property’s restaurant space to Simpson’s Hamburger. In 1952, the Ferrells also took over management of the restaurant and named it the Down-Easter. The motel offered accommodations with pine-paneled rooms and tile baths and was added to over time to include more rooms and a swimming pool. The couple passed on the business to their son, Ed, and his wife, Sue, who sold the restaurant in 2011.Show Details
The caption reads, "Down-East Motel, U.S. 1, Yarmouth, Maine."
The Tichnor Brothers printing company published this type of postcard circa 1938.