- Item 71857 - Entrance to Wells Beach, ca. 1938
- Contributed by Boston Public Library
- Item 71857
- 3284px x 2085px - 10.9"w x 7.0"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Boston Public Library
Wells Beach is one of numerous beaches in the town of Wells and attracts many visitors during the summer season. Mile Road, which was known as Island Ledge Road when it was built in 1872, leads to the beach. The area was serviced by an electric car stop until 1923 and by the Boston & Maine Railroad. Visitors would embark and take a horse-drawn buggy down the path to the beach. In the early 20th century, Mile Road was only wide enough for two buckboards to narrowly pass.Show Details
The caption reads, "Entrance to Wells Beach, Maine."
The Tichnor Brothers printing company published this type of postcard circa 1938 as part of their Maine series. These, and other postcards, by the Tichnor Brothers Company are officially known as the Tichnor Gloss Series because the photographs were notoriously retouched on such a level that does not allow the postcards to be classified as photographs or paintings.