- Item 71794 - Veterans Administration Facility Hospital, Togus, ca. 1938
- Contributed by Boston Public Library
- Item 71794
- 3378px x 2168px - 11.3"w x 7.2"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Boston Public Library
The first 100-bed hospital of the Togus Veterans Administration Facility was completed in 1870 and replaced in 1891. In the 1930s, the new medical center director Malcolm Stoddard oversaw a building campaign to modernize Togus that included a General Medical & Surgical Hospital in the northern section of the campus with up-to-date technology. The groundbreaking for the new 250-bed hospital took place on May 12, 1932, and construction was completed the following year. The new building stood on the site of a former deer park that had been built to amuse residents.Show Details
The caption reads, "Hospital, Veterans Administration Facility, Togus, Maine."
The Tichnor Brothers printing company published this type of postcard circa 1938.