- Item 71793 - Veterans Administration Facility Nurses Home, Togus, ca. 1938
- Contributed by Boston Public Library
- Item 71793
- 3362px x 2167px - 11.2"w x 7.2"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Boston Public Library
The Nurses Quarters at Togus Veterans Administration Facility, as pictured in this postcard, sat to the right of the hospital and later came to be used as Medical Administration Facility. The building was constructed in 1936.Show Details
The complex at Togus is one of the oldest veterans’ facilities in the United States, having opened in Chelsea, Maine in 1866 as a home for disabled soldiers on the site of a former health summer resort known as Togus Springs. “Togus” comes from the Native American “Worromontogus,” or mineral water. Through the Consolidation Act of July 1930, the property at Togus became a Veterans Administration Facility, and additional buildings were added throughout the 1930s. Togus was notable for being the first home created by the National Home for Disabled Volunteer Soldiers and thus the first facility built to assist volunteer soldiers.
The caption reads, "Nurses Home, Veterans Administration Facility, Togus, Maine."
The Tichnor Brothers printing company published this type of postcard circa 1938.