- Item 71602 - Lancey House Hotel, Pittsfield, ca. 1938
- Contributed by Boston Public Library
- Item 71602
- 3329px x 2073px - 11.1"w x 6.9"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Boston Public Library
The original Lancey House in Pittsfield was built by Isaac D. Lancey at the intersection of Hunnewell and Main Streets in 1868 at the cost of $15,000. It functioned as successful hotel until it burned in an October 1906 fire, though the stable remained standing. The structure shown in this postcard is the hotel built on the site by Preston Hersey in 1911.Show Details
William W. Lehr, Sr. operated the hotel from 1929 to 1945, adding a coffee shop. The gas station pictured replaced an open yard and later became Veteran’s Park. After serving as a civil defense observation post in WWII, undergoing many renovations, and frequently changing ownership, the Lancey House again burned down in October 1965 and was demolished the following year.
The caption reads, "Lancey House Hotel, Pittsfield, Maine."
The Tichnor Brothers printing company published this type of postcard circa 1938.