- Item 70006 - Hotel Empire, Annex and cottages, Old Orchard Beach, ca. 1938
- Contributed by Boston Public Library
- Item 70006
- 3382px x 2166px - 11.3"w x 7.2"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Boston Public Library
Hotel Empire was one of many hotels that catered to the summer tourist community in Old Orchard Beach throughout the first half of the 20th century. Originally known as The Miller hotel, it was built on East Grand Avenue in Old Orchard Beach by contractors Henry and George Beaudette, and the name was changed to the Empire in 1910. The hotel moved to its location between Brown and Linwood Streets in 1917. The annex pictured in this postcard was built in 1918. The Kassell Miller Hotel Company formed in 1927 to officially manage the hotel. Advertisements at this time boasted that the hotel sat directly on the seawall, offered dancing, sports an orchestra, and Kosher foods. The hotel was demolished in 1963.Show Details
The caption reads, "Hotel Empire, Annex and cottages, Old Orchard Beach, Maine."
The Tichnor Brothers printing company published this type of postcard circa 1938.