- Item 66637 - Boats on Long Lake, Naples, ca. 1935
- Contributed by Boston Public Library
- Item 66637
- 3357px x 2144px - 11.2"w x 7.1"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Boston Public Library
With an area of 4,867 acres, Long Lake is the second largest body of water in Southern Maine and connects to Brandy Pond by Naples. The lake has long been a popular spot for boating in Naples, including sailing and rides on the Songo River Queen paddleboat.Show Details
The Bay of Naples Inn is visible in this image on the east shore of Long Lake. The Inn opened on July 26, 1899 and accommodated many tourists traveling along the Oxford and Cumberland Canal. As the period’s largest hotel in the Sebago Lakes Region, the Bay of Naples Inn had 4 floors, 72 rooms (later 102), and a staff of 85, led by manager Charles Costello, when it opened. The owner Charles Goodridge provided a boat for guests that would bring them to the lakeside, where they were then picked up by horse-drawn buggies and brought to the hotel. The inn closed in 1951 and was demolished in 1964, but the notable cupola from the building’s architecture was saved.
The caption reads, "Speed boat and sailing scene on Long Lake at Naples, Maine."
The Tichnor Brothers printing company published this type of postcard circa 1930-1945.