Item 46326 - Water Street, Lubec, ca. 1918

Item 46326 - Water Street, Lubec, ca. 1918
Contributed by Lubec Historical Society
Item 46326
Water Street, Lubec, ca. 1918
4735px x 2955px - 15.8"w x 9.8"h @ 300dpi  |  Need a larger size?
*Credit line must read: Collections of Lubec Historical Society
Image Info

This retouched colored postcard portrays the business district of Lubec during its heyday (maximum population was 3371 in the 1920 census). The lower floor of the towered building on the left housed the Post Office; the new public library occupied this site beginning in 2002. The building beyond that with corner door and bay windows later became known as the “Rexall store.”

Beyond that were the C.H. Clark, later Unobskey’s Department store, Mabee Drugs, and Calkins shoestore. These three buildings remain, facades vastly altered, in 2011. On the right is the Dodge Department Store, Dodge Market, Mulholland Market, and with red roof the building housing the Lubec Herald newspaper. All except the latter remain as of 2011. The building at the far end of the street was the office for ferry service about Cobscook Bay. Note that both automobiles and a horse-drawn wagon are visible.

Show Details