- Item 34038 - The Hamilton Place Library, North Yarmouth, ca. 1909
- Contributed by North Yarmouth Historical Society
- Item 34038
- 4242px x 3411px - 14.1"w x 11.4"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of North Yarmouth Historical Society
This home at 598 Walnut Hill Road was built by John Hamilton Jr. In the late 1700s. In 1894 it became the town’s first community library, known as the Hamilton Place Library. Lura A. Hamilton, librarian, purchased books from Boston; the library boasted 1,800 volumes, a reading group, and its own stamp to mark borrowed books. By 1909 the Hamiltons began selling ice cream that they made using their cow's milk. The library closed after 40 years when Lura died in 1932.Show Details