- Item 33486 - Main Street in South Blue Hill. ca. 1910
- Contributed by Blue Hill Historical Society
- Item 33486
- 4774px x 2997px - 15.9"w x 10.0"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Blue Hill Historical Society
At least four distinct communities grew up in Blue Hill in the early years following the founding of the town in 1762, a result of poor roads and the difficulties of travel at the time. South Blue Hill became the name commonly used to describe the region in the south part of town on "The Neck," a strip of land between the Salt Pond and Blue Hill Bay separated from the rest of town by the reversing falls at Blue Hill Falls until the first bridge was built in the mid-19th century.Show Details