- Item 30910 - West Quoddy Head Light Station, Lubec, ca. 1940
- Contributed by Lubec Historical Society
- Item 30910
- 4510px x 3173px - 15.0"w x 10.6"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Lubec Historical Society
This view of the red-and-white stripped lighthouse shows the rear of the keepers’ duplex. The door to the head keeper’s kitchen is open. Note radio beacon tower rising over roof. Positioning signals for both marine and air navigation were transmitted by the Coast Guard during that era. Enlargement reveals that the black spot between the chimney and the tower is an insulator in a wire antenna, probably used for two-way radio communication. Note the window of “glass blocks” on the tower vestibule. Glass block windows remain as of 2009. The notches on the left side indicate that sheet film was used for the negative of this unfortunately trimmed photographic print.Show Details