- Item 30904 - Straw and Martin Insurance and C.A. Smith Photography, ca. 1880
- Contributed by Guilford Historical Society
- Item 30904
- 4672px x 3214px - 15.6"w x 10.7"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Guilford Historical Society
This photo, taken around 1880, shows the Straw and Martin Insurance Office located on North Main Street. As near as can be determined, this was the very first framed building in Guilford. C.A. Smith rented space from Straw & Martin for his photography studio. It is not known if the studio was located on the 1st or 2nd floor. Note that School Street did not exist at the time this photo was taken. Currently School Street turns to the left just past the little girl standing alone on the sidewalk. This building is the current home of the Guilford Historical Society (since 1983). The large maple trees are gone but the building still looks the same today. The building location now has an address of 10 North Main Street.Show Details