- Item 27180 - Stimpson's Hall, Thomaston, ca. 1950
- Contributed by Thomaston Historical Society
- Item 27180
- 5100px x 2845px - 17.0"w x 9.5"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Thomaston Historical Society
In 1828 a new hall was erected in Crick Village near the corner of Old County Road (Route One) and Pine Street by Brown Stimpson, a druggist. At that time, the business district in Thomaston centered around the Mill Creek area and was referred to as Crick Village.Show Details
The building was long known as Stimpson's or Mason's Hall, when it was consecrated to Free Masonry on July 17, 1828. The Masons moved to the Jordan Block and sold the hall to Colonel George Starr. The firm of Starrett and Healey then established a furniture store. In 1875 the building became the Thomaston Boot and Shoe Company.
In the late 1870s, R. Harvey Counce purchased the building for use as the R. H. Counce Engine Company. At one time it housed hand tubs, horse drawn and later power driven apparatus.
It was razed in 1956 when the new fire station was built on Knox Street.