- Item 26646 - Thomaston Grocery, Thomaston, ca. 1889
- Contributed by Thomaston Historical Society
- Item 26646
- 4950px x 2894px - 16.5"w x 9.6"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Thomaston Historical Society
Originally built circa 1830 as a dwelling house for Barden Levensaler on the southwest corner of Knox and Main Streets, the building was later used as a store. It stood on the site of the present Watts Block. William Flint and either George or Richard Starr operated a grocery store here around 1860. William Catland operated the store up until 1890.Show Details
In 1890 Barden's son, William Levensaler, sold it to Captain Samuel Watts on February 5, 1890 for $3200. Captain Watts moved the building down Knox Street, and built the first brick Watts Block in 1890 on the site. The Watts Block was presented to the town residents for their use.