- Item 26392 - Union Block, North Main Street, Thomaston, ca. 1870
- Contributed by Thomaston Historical Society
- Item 26392
- 5550px x 2651px - 18.5"w x 8.8"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Thomaston Historical Society
Jordan and Webb Block (partial) on left, Union Block in the center, and beyond, the Thomaston Bank and Fernald Store. The Union Block was built 1857 on the north side of County Road or Main Street.Show Details
A heavy wooden canopy shelters the entrance to Delano’s saloon. The Good Templars Hall was just above on the third floor, where it thrived for some 25-30 years. Major Hewett’s law office may be located by the sign, while the sign on the granite door post indicates there is a dressmaker upstairs.
Albert Davis, undertaker, owned this block and had undertaking rooms and funeral parlors here. It was sold by the Davis heirs to Malcolm Humphrey.
The building contained two halls, one of which was occupied by Orient Lodge of Masons from 1851 on. One was used by the Methodists until their church was ready, and later, it was the location of the P. Henry Tilson Post, Grand Army of the Republic. Other tenants were: A. Snow (prob. Ambrose-a merchant and postmaster for eight years) and Joel W. Harrington, a dealer in hats and furs.