- Item 25608 - Munjoy Hill Reservoir breach, Portland, 1893
- Contributed by Maine Maritime Museum
- Item 25608
- 5647px x 3843px - 18.8"w x 12.8"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Maine Maritime Museum
At 5:30 a.m. on Sunday, August 6, 1893, Mrs A. M. Jones noticed a trickle leaking out of the Portland Water Company's reservoir on Munjoy Hill's North Street.Show Details
Soon thereafter, a 20-foot wave carrying 20 million gallons of water rushed down the hill, taking with it two houses and a barn.
Four people died when the reservoir wall gave way. The reservoir was soon rebuilt and remained in use until the 1970s.