Item 148638 - Rectory, Saint Agatha, ca. 1915

Item 148638 - Rectory, Saint Agatha, ca. 1915
Contributed by Acadian Archives
Item 148638
Rectory, Saint Agatha, ca. 1915
4632px x 3028px - 15.4"w x 10.1"h @ 300dpi  |  Need a larger size?
*Credit line must read: Collections of Acadian Archives
Image Info

Saint Agatha developed as a farming community in the mid-nineteenth century as settlers moved outwardly from the St. John River around Frenchville. Alexandre "Menon" Ouellette was one of the first, such that Long Lake has also been known as "Lac à Menon." In 1889, Bishop James A. Healy assigned a French priest to the predominantly Catholic community, and a parish was founded. A permanent church was built in 1890. The rectory (the priest's residence) was likely built or acquired around this time.

A historical study by David Raymond published in "Centenaire de St. Agatha, Maine 1899-1999" (1999) alludes to a rectory built under the direction of Father J. M. Chatagnon in 1920. Another locally published work also points to a new construction during Chatagnon's brief tenure. This undated postcard corresponds with photographs dated to the first decade of the twentieth century. Therefore, it would have been an earlier structure, possibly the first rectory built in Saint Agatha. It was situated on the lake side of the main road, close to the church, and may have been demolished to make way for the new rectory.

Show Details