- Item 104195 - Ansel Smith's house, Chesuncook, 1912
- Contributed by Maine Historical Society
- Item 104195
- 4593px x 2863px - 15.3"w x 9.5"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Maine Historical Society
Located about an hour from Millinocket, the village of Chesuncook was founded in 1849. By the early 1850s, Ansel Smith owned and operated a logging camp on Chesuncook Lake. Logging camps or lodges housed and fed local workmen, as well as travelers and sportsmen.Show Details
Ansel Smith and Chesuncook both appeared in Henry David Thoreau's "The Maine Woods," who visited and observed the area.