- Item 99123 - First Church, Belfast, ca. 1900
- Contributed by Belfast Historical Society
- Item 99123
- 4407px x 5499px - 14.7"w x 18.3"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Belfast Historical Society
First Church was built at the corner of Church and Spring streets. The building is Federal style with a square clock tower, open octagonal belfry surmounted by an octagonal cupola with a wrought-iron weathervane. The congregation formed in 1796. The construction of the building began in June, 1818 and the new meetinghouse was dedicated on November 15, 1818.Show Details
In May of 1819 a Paul Revere Bell was hung in the belfry. In 1836 the town owned clock, designed by Belfast clock makers, Timothy Chase and Phineas P. Quimby, was installed.