- Item 98640 - Railroad Station, Belfast, 1908
- Contributed by Belfast Historical Society
- Item 98640
- 3437px x 2208px - 11.5"w x 7.4"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Belfast Historical Society
The Belfast and Moosehead Lake Railway Company built the thirty-two mile long railroad in 1870. The line was leased by the Maine Central Railroad, which carried mail, freight and passengers until 1925, when the City of Belfast assumed ownership. At that time, the Belfast and Moosehead Lake Railroad was the only publicly owned freight and passenger line in the country.Show Details
The passenger station was torn down in 1960 to make way for a grain elevator used for the poultry industry. The last train left Belfast on June 5, 2005.