- Item 9863 - Interior of the St. Agatha Church, St. Agatha, 1899
- Contributed by Ste. Agathe Historical Society
- Item 9863
- 2942px x 4965px - 9.8"w x 16.6"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Ste. Agathe Historical Society
Interior view of the St. Agatha Church from the sanctuary. The choir loft is seen above.Show Details
The St. Agatha Parish church was destroyed by fire on August 13, 1940. From an article written in 1990 by David Raymond: "Au feu! The community was jolted from its routine to an unexpected and unwanted reality. At 5:30 P,M, a gasoline stove had suddenly exploded in the house of Joseph and Adel Bouchard (the former "bedo's" house next to the church). The home was quickly engulfed in flames fueled by a blustery wind. Men, women, and children dashed to the fire while the volunteer fire department hurried up "la cote d'eglise" with their fire equipment. There was no hope of saving Mr. Bouchard's house. Everyone's attention turned to the immediate threat the fire posed to the pride of the faithful, the newly renovated church, the convent and other homes in the vicinity.Without delay firemen placed an immediate call for assistance. Fire departments from as far away as Presque Isle responded."