- Item 9764 - Shoe Factory, Springvale, 1880s
- Contributed by Sanford-Springvale Historical Society
- Item 9764
- 5042px x 2896px - 16.8"w x 9.7"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Sanford-Springvale Historical Society
The tall white building at center, on Bridge Street, was built in 1870 by Irving A. Butler, the driving force behind Springvale's development as a center for shoe manufacture.Show Details
His partner was John D. Fogg. Butler remained in the partnership for only two years, selling out to Henry Vinal in 1872 to raise funds to purchase another shoe factory on Mill Street.
This building continued to be used for shoe production until it was destroyed in the great Springvale fire of 1905.
The home in the background at left was the residence of E. E. Wentworth, which also was lost in the fire.