- Item 9491 - Cottages along the Row, Squirrel Island, ca. 1910
- Contributed by Stanley Museum
- Item 9491
- 4690px x 3017px - 15.6"w x 10.1"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Stanley Museum
A group of summer cottages along what was known as the Row, overlooking the village center on Squirrel Island, circa 1910.Show Details
The three cottages on the right were owned by the Stanley family: at far right is "Sunny Haven," owned by Mr. and Mrs. F.E. Stanley; just behind and to the right (partially obscured by trees) is "Eagles' Nest," owned by the Stanleys' daughter, Emily Stanley Warren; further to the right is the cottage of the other Stanley daughter, Blanche Stanley Hallett.
These three cottages were built in 1908-1909. An earlier cottage, next to the right, was owned by the Foss family, and on the far left is the cottage owned by the Gruener family.
In 1932 a devastating row fire destroyed all of these homes, except for the cottage of Emily Warren to the rear, saved when the wind shifted.
The former Warren cottage survives today, the nearby lots now preserved as conservation land.
In addition to the three Stanley cottages seen here, F.E. Stanley undertook other building projects on the island, including laying out the first of a series of concrete walkways, one of which can be seen leading up to the steps of his house.
Many of the original boardwalks on the island were later replaced with concrete walks.