- Item 9482 - Fourth of July Ceremonies, Squirrel Island, 1918
- Contributed by Stanley Museum
- Item 9482
- 4718px x 3029px - 15.7"w x 10.1"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Stanley Museum
Frank L. Dingley (standing on Speakers' Platform in front of The Island Spa) has just concluded his remarks before the assembly of his Squirrel Island neighbors, July 4, 1918.Show Details
Dingley was the longtime editor and publisher of the Lewiston Evening Journal, and also published the Squirrel Island Squid, the newspaper of the Squirrel Island community.
Dingley died several months after this photograph was taken, on September 21, 1918.
The children on the right are dressed up to represent U.S. service men and women and their allies in WWI.
The Island Spa was built as a social center on the island by Albert H. Davenport in 1900/1901. The Spa was purchased by the Squirrel Island Ladies Improvement Association in 1921 and renamed the "Tea Shop." The building was destroyed in a fire in 1965.