- Item 9459 - Navigating Ovens Mouth by Motorboat, ca. 1911
- Contributed by Stanley Museum
- Item 9459
- 4900px x 2914px - 16.3"w x 9.7"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Stanley Museum
The "Empress" was a 33-foot motorboat owned by F.E. Stanley and used for traveling to and from the Stanleys' summer residence on Squirrel Island in Boothbay Harbor.Show Details
Here the "Empress" is pictured around 1911 exploring the inner estuaries of the Sheepscot River, navigating the tidal waters of the Ovens Mouth. At the helm of the boat is Randall McLellan, who operated and maintained the boat for the Stanleys.
His passenger is Margaret (Peg) Gruener, a Squirrel Island neighbor of the Stanleys. They are coming about to be photographed by Raymond W. Stanley, who was positioned on shore.
The photograph was taken in Edgecomb looking toward Boothbay from the west end of Ovens Mouth.