Item 9347 - Clambake at Mckown's Point, Boothbay, ca. 1915
- Item 9347 - Clambake at Mckown's Point, Boothbay, ca. 1915
- Contributed by Stanley Museum
- Item 9347
- 4724px x 3004px - 15.7"w x 10.0"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Stanley Museum
A group of Squirrel Island summer residents enjoy a picnic at Mckown's Point, Boothbay, circa 1915. Notes in association with this photo identify members of this group (right to left) as Mr. & Mrs. Manson, Emily S. Warren, unidentified man, Mary Glover, Prescott Warren, Margaret W. Carrington, unidentified man, Gertrude C. Emory, four unidentified women, Margaret Gruener, Raymond W. Stanley, and five persons unidentified.Show Details
In 1895, Captain Freeman McKown started his commercial clambakes on the west side of Oak Point, Boothbay. In an oak grove overlooking the sound he built many long, narrow tables with seating on one side to facilitate serving large parties of customers who arrived by steam ships from nearby islands and other ports along the coast.
While lobsters, clams, and corn steamed in traditional "ovens" of heated stones covered with rock-weed gathered from the shore, "Cap'n Free's" waiting guests were served hot coffee from enamel-ware pitchers in ironstone mugs.
This group of Squirrel Island residents are pictured awaiting the arrival of their feast - all they can eat for a dollar.