- Item 9072 - Water Street, Skowhegan, ca. 1870
- Contributed by Skowhegan History House
- Item 9072
- 3727px x 3684px - 12.4"w x 12.3"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Skowhegan History House
The north side of Water Street in Skowhegan, looking west.Show Details
The large brick building is Coburn Hall, which burned in 1904. The sign on the awning is Farrand, a tailor. Other occupants of Coburn Hall block at that time may have been W. R. G. Estes, clothier; Bixby & Phillips, druggists, and James P. Blunt, hardware dealer.
The small building just at the right of Coburn Hall was formerly the Eben H. Neal store. A little later this firm became Patten & Neal. Still later the firm became Neal & Wentworth, a general grocery store. The structure was moved to the east side of Court Street. The Griffin Building replaced it.
The truck team in front of the Hall & Grant store was owned by the late Hiram Thing.
Notice the unpaved street.