- Item 9069 - Skowhegan from Top of Neal Hill, about 1868
- Contributed by Skowhegan History House
- Item 9069
- 3885px x 3636px - 12.9"w x 12.1"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Skowhegan History House
(Shown through the courtesy of Mrs. Rachael P. Webb)Show Details
" Note Kidder Mill (brick) in center. This was occupied for many years as a grist mill and at present is a part of the premises utilized by the Daneil E. Cummings Company. Coburn Hall shows to the left and beyond the Kidder Building. This establishes the date of the picture as subsequent to 1866. Other points indicate that it must have been taken shortly after that date. The Weston Sawmill and Stinchfield Carding Mill, mentioned in connection with Number 58, may be observed at the head of the island. The Skowhegan High School, built in 1869, shows in this picture. The river bank at right, which is now crowded with ice houses and residences, appears as an unoccupied field. The picture must have been taken from Neal Hill and a very rural fence appears in the immediate foreground.
~Roland T. Patten, Custodian of Historical Views, 1929"