- Item 9043 - Skowhegan Wheel Club, 1894
- Contributed by Skowhegan History House
- Item 9043
- 4264px x 3328px - 14.2"w x 11.1"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Skowhegan History House
Members of the Skowhegan Wheel Club on Elm Street, in front of the old Parlin homestead.Show Details
From left are Fred C. Dow, slighly in front of him, G. E. Durrell, later Postmaster of Skowhegan; Grace E. Wentworth, and Durrell's wife. The machine they have is a tandem of English make, owned by Herbert Wentworth, Miss Wentworth's brother.
Next is Gertrude Goodwin, who later married Blaine E. Owen of Augusta, and after his death married Edward Mayo of Dover-Foxcroft; then Lizzie Williams, Mrs. Dyer, Eolia Snow Bray, Miss Holmes of Northeast Harbor, who worked at Patten drug store on Water Street and became a registered pharmacist; John W. Steward (behind her).
The man with the helmet is Roland T. Patten, a druggist on Water Street; then George Nash, Thomas Farrand, Marshall C. Viles, George Williams, Ben S. Steward, John W. Steward, Norace Bickford, James Lumsden, Ned Lambert, Charles F. Ward, G. Ernest Avore, Nay Varney, and two unidentified persons.
Many of the club members were merchants or worked in Skowhegan businesses.