- Item 83370 - Vessels loading ice in West Boothbay Harbor, 1907
- Contributed by Boothbay Region Historical Society
- Item 83370
- 7838px x 4956px - 26.1"w x 16.5"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Boothbay Region Historical Society
The four masted schooner General E.S. Greeley (its deck is in the foreground at left) and the five masted schooner Magnus Magnusson were at the Maine Ice Company's 400 foot wharf loading ice when this photograph was taken on February 22, 1907 in West Boothbay Harbor. Men guided cakes of ice on tracks from the massive ice house (seen through the rigging at left) up a ramp and onto the wharf, where the ice was loaded onto the vessels.Show Details
A dam built in 1880 created West Harbor Pond, which supplied ice until the 1930s, by which time electric refrigeration obviated the need for natural ice.