Item 82233 - Munjoy Hill Reservoir, Portland, ca. 1921
- Item 82233 - Munjoy Hill Reservoir, Portland, ca. 1921
- Contributed by Portland Water District
- Item 82233
- 4447px x 4146px - 14.8"w x 13.8"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Portland Water District
The Munjoy Hill Reservoir was built in 1889 by the Portland Water Company. The standpipe on the right in the photograph, built in 1903, furnished a constant supply of water to the residents of Munjoy Hill. The standpipe filled and emptied during the day with any overflow passing into the Reservoir, which, in turn, passed its overflow into Back Bay. The Reservoir had burst in 1893 due to a defective overflow. Concerns that the Reservoir might break again were still prevalent into 1921. At that time the District officials inspected the Reservoir on a weekly basis, and Portland Water District employee, Fred Reny, who served as general manager from 1933-1950, and whose house was located next to the standpipe, patrolled the rim of the basin every morning.Show Details
The Reservoir remained in use until 1970 when it was dismantled.