- Item 82148 - Sebago Lake Water Transmission Line 1912
- Contributed by Portland Water District
- Item 82148
- 16080px x 11220px - 53.6"w x 37.4"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Portland Water District
In 1908, the Portland Water District, after procuring the Portland Water Company, made its first priority improving water supply and pressure to Portland, Deering, South Portland, and Cape Elizabeth. After discussing the use of cast iron versus steel pipes, the District decided to construct the new transmission line from Sebago Lake to Portland using 42" cast iron pipes.Show Details
The United States Cast Iron Pipe and Foundry Company of Philadelphia Pennsylvania, won the contract for furnishing the cast iron pipe and specials, and John C. Tierney, of Hoboken New Jersey, was awarded the contract for hauling and laying the cast iron pipe and fittings. The Water District also hired engineer Allen Hazen, of New York, as a consultant for this project.
In this photograph workers are shown with lengths of pipe next to the excavator that was used to dig the trench for the pipeline. The transmission line was completed in 1912, after approximately one year of construction.