- Item 82113 - Schooner Elizabeth W. Nunan launch in East Boothbay, July 1908
- Contributed by Boothbay Region Historical Society
- Item 82113
- 4780px x 3004px - 15.9"w x 10.0"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Boothbay Region Historical Society
This photograph was taken at the launch of the fishing schooner Elizabeth W. Nunan at the Hodgdon Brothers shipyard in East Boothbay in July of 1908.Show Details
Hodgdon Brothers built six fishing schooners for the Nunans, of Cape Porpoise, between 1882 and 1908. The Elizabeth W. Nunan was the last and largest at 95 feet. Her home port was Kennebunk.
The Boothbay Register reported soon after the launching that "Carriages and launches were seen in all directions and the East Boothbay Military Band played at the bow. After launching she started her engine and came into the wharf. A 100 (sic) were on board for a trial run to Squirrel (Island)." Capt. Frank Nunan and his wife were present for the launching.