Item 82074 - Bramhall Reservoir Gate and Fence, Portland, ca. 1930
- Item 82074 - Bramhall Reservoir Gate and Fence, Portland, ca. 1930
- Contributed by Portland Water District
- Item 82074
- 11578px x 9080px - 38.6"w x 30.3"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Portland Water District
This is a street view of the Bramhall Reservoir gate and fence that was built in 1869, between Brackett, Vaughan and Chadwick Streets, to hold water pumped from Sebago Lake by the Portland Water Company. Water pumped into the Reservoir was then pumped into City distribution pipes. A second Reservoir in the City of Portland followed in 1888 with the construction of the Munjoy Hill Reservoir.Show Details
The Bramhall Reservoir was in use until 1964 when it was flattened in anticipation of being leased to the Maine Medical Center for parking. It's capacity was only 8 million gallons whereas the Munjoy Hill Reservoir, which was still in use after the decommission of the Bramhall Reservoir, was 22 million gallons.