- Item 81450 - Portland Water District lumber sheds, Portland, ca. 1940
- Contributed by Portland Water District
- Item 81450
- 23844px x 18720px - 79.5"w x 62.4"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Portland Water District
This is an exterior photo of Portland Water District's Douglass Street facility taken a few years after its completion in 1928.Show Details
This facility was designed by architects John Calvin Stevens and his son John Howard Stevens. This is a view of the lumber sheds in the back of the building.
This facility was designed to eliminate noise and smoke from the front of the building, and to keep the loading and unloading of material away from public view so that the surrounding neighborhoods would suffer no depreciation.
The area around the lumber sheds was also used to store supplies such as cast iron pipes.