- Item 81088 - Early Photograph of Monson Academy, Monson, ca. 1900
- Contributed by Monson Historical Society
- Item 81088
- 4483px x 3266px - 14.9"w x 10.9"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Monson Historical Society
After the first Academy building was destroyed by fire in March of 1860 the residents of Monson quickly erected a new building. The framework of the second building was two stories high and measured 37 x 56 feet and was still uncovered when fire again struck the little town of Monson and destroyed the new construction along with many homes and businesses in town.Show Details
In spite of the obstacles the people of Monson again began construction and the first classes were held at the Academy in 1861. Classes were held in the lower section of the building with concerts, lectures and public events held on the second level. In 1901 the Academy was made free to the students of Monson, 1908 a laboratory was installed and 1922 electric lights were installed. The Academy graduated its last class in 1969 and the building was demolished in 1984.