- Item 81048 - Mechanics Institute Basketball Team, Rumford, ca. 1970
- Contributed by Greater Rumford Area Historical Society
- Item 81048
- 4900px x 3511px - 16.3"w x 11.7"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Greater Rumford Area Historical Society
An early 1970s Mechanics Institute basketball team poses for a photo.Show Details
Standing in the back row, left to right: Mark Richardson, Michael Milligan, Michael Poulin, Greg Worthley, and Coach Larry Philbrick.
Seated in the front row, left to right: Eric Preller, Jim Aylward, Steve Philbrick, Michael Plourde, and Kevin Philbrick.
Founded in 1911 by Oxford Paper Company owner Hugh Chisholm, the Mechanics Institute was created to provide a space for working people to improve themselves mentally, morally, socially and physically for a low cost. In 1968 the Oxford Paper Company gave the building and land to the Rumford Mechanics Institute Association, and in 1972 the building was renamed the Greater Rumford Community Center and the responsibility for running and maintaining it was taken over by the town.