- Item 80936 - Porter Covered Bridge, 1870
- Contributed by Mexico Historical Society
- Item 80936
- 4735px x 3178px - 15.8"w x 10.6"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Mexico Historical Society
The bridge that crossed the Swift River in Hale was swept away in the freshet of 1870. A covered bridge was built to replace it the same year. It was located a short way above the house of Fred Porter, in a place on the Swift River that was considered more accessible to Rumford and Mexico. A cheese factory operated by George Richards was located nearby, and on the opposite side of the bridge was a small district schoolhouse.Show Details
Porter Bridge was demolished in an ice tornado in November, 1900. In 1901, after much controversy it was agreed that a high steel framework bridge should take its place, and the Red Bridge was built further downstream.