- Item 79978 - Waldo Street fire, Rumford, 1923
- Contributed by Greater Rumford Area Historical Society
- Item 79978
- 4426px x 3165px - 14.8"w x 10.6"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Greater Rumford Area Historical Society
A crowd watches a fire burn a significant part of Waldo Street on August 2, 1923. The result of the blaze: a loss of three restaurants, 12 stores, a garage, a bakery, three barber shops, the Majestic Theater, three pool halls, a 30-bed rooming house, a harness shop, sheds and storerooms, and at least 77 tenements.Show Details
Prior to the fire, Waldo Street in Rumford was a bustling residential and secondary business district for the town.