- Item 79975 - Waldo Street fire, Rumford, 1923
- Contributed by Greater Rumford Area Historical Society
- Item 79975
- 4788px x 2860px - 16.0"w x 9.5"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Greater Rumford Area Historical Society
Rubble smoulders the morning after Rumford's devastating Waldo Street fire, which took place on August 2, 1923. The blaze destroyed three restaurants, 12 stores, a garage, a bakery, three barber shops, the Majestic Theater, three pool halls, a 30-bed rooming house, a harness shop, sheds and storerooms, and at least 77 tenements. It cost a total of $500,000 in damages and required fire departments from four towns to extinguish.Show Details