- Item 79930 - Rumford Point ferry bridge, ca. 1910
- Contributed by Greater Rumford Area Historical Society
- Item 79930
- 4673px x 2966px - 15.6"w x 9.9"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Greater Rumford Area Historical Society
The Rumford Point Ferry connected the towns of Rumford Point and Rumford Corner. The ferry began operation in 1809, and was known as "Kimball Ferry" for the ferryman Moses Kimball. The ferry ceased operation in 1830, when a bridge was erected; nine years later the bridge was destroyed by the flood.Show Details
Porter Kimball later built another boat and soon sold it to Charles A. Kimball, son of Moses Kimball. In 1876, Franklin Martin purchased the ferry from the Kimball family. He sold the business two years later to Roscoe Knight. In 1902, Alvin Goddard bought the business. Succeeding owners were John F. Martin, who hired a man named Will Richardson to operate it for him; William Barker; James “Jack” Farren; Charles “Al” White; and finally, Jack Farren again, who hired Esko Neskanen and Ernest Bubier as ferrymen.
In 1942, the town purchased the ferry from Mr. Farren. Isaac “Ike” Easter was hired to operate it until the Martin Bridge was completed in 1955. Ike Easter was the last ferryman on the Androscoggin River.