- Item 79922 - Woodrowville School, Rumford Maine ca. 1920
- Contributed by Greater Rumford Area Historical Society
- Item 79922
- 4356px x 3042px - 14.5"w x 10.1"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Greater Rumford Area Historical Society
The Woodrowville School in Rumford as it appeared around 1920.Show Details
Several small peripheral villages, often ethnic in nature, developed outside the Rumford Falls area. Each of these areas had their own small, community schools where students could walk to and from home. Those who lived in the Swain Road and Eaton Hill section of town went to Woodrowville School.
The school was formerly known as the Holland School, built in 1901 at a cost of $517.00. It was originally named for the gentleman who resided next door, but later renamed Woodrowville School in appreciation of Mr. Arthur D. Woodrow, who donated the land to be used as a playground and also the sum of $50 to grade it. The School closed in 1947.