- Item 79612 - Main Street, Ridlonville, 1937
- Contributed by Mexico Historical Society
- Item 79612
- 3147px x 1997px - 10.5"w x 6.7"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Mexico Historical Society
Ridlonville was once part of the town of Mexico. This image of Main Street faces south.Show Details
The second building is the Howard Hall Opera House, built for recreation and dancing by John L Howard. It featured a covered stairway. In 1926, the Strathglass Pipe Band of Rumford and Mexico practiced playing and marching in the hall. The hall was later used for basketball games and also as sixth grade classrooms until the Abbott School was rebuilt. On the first floor of the hall was Archie Mann's Bakery and Knauer's Beer Garden.
The building on the south side of the hall is A. E. Davis Dry Goods, established about 1901. It burned in 1907 and was rebuilt with brick. Howard Hall also burned down in 1978.
As of 2013, the Far East Restaurant is housed in the A. E. Davis Building and uses the lot where the hall once stood for parking.