- Item 79404 - Abbott School, Mexico, ca. 1930
- Contributed by Mexico Historical Society
- Item 79404
- 5017px x 3868px - 16.7"w x 12.9"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Mexico Historical Society
This photograph postcard depicts the Abbott School around 1930. The Abbott School was built in 1907 on the same property where the Central School, which was razed by fire on Christmas Eve in 1906, had been located.Show Details
The five rooms on the first floor of the building housed the lower grades or Grammar School, while the upper grades made up the High School which occupied seven rooms on the second floor. In 1911 the name of the school was changed from the Central School to Abbot School in honor of Elizabeth Abbot who donated the land upon which the Central School was built.
In 1937 a new High School was completed and the Abbott School became the Grammar School and Junior High school. The number of grades taught at the school continued to decrease over the years until 1980 when, since a new elementary school had been built, the building was closed and sold. The building was soon after destroyed by fire in the early 1980's.
The front of the postcard reads "The Mexico High School Building"