Item 78837 - Mechanics Institute of Rumford, ca. 1911
- Item 78837 - Mechanics Institute of Rumford, ca. 1911
- Contributed by Greater Rumford Area Historical Society
- Item 78837
- 3432px x 2418px - 11.4"w x 8.1"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Greater Rumford Area Historical Society
Completed in 1911, the Mechanics Institute building is four stories high, 125 feet long, and 80 feet deep. It is located on Congress Street in Rumford.Show Details
The Mechanics Institute was created to provide a space for working people to improve themselves mentally, morally, socially and physically for a low cost.
It was founded by Hugh J. Chisholm and financed by the Oxford Paper Company. In 1968 the Oxford Paper Company gave the building and land to the Rumford Mechanics Institute Association.
In 1972 the building was renamed the Greater Rumford Community Center and the responsibility for running and maintaining it was taken over by the town.