- Item 76040 - J. H. Wolf clothing store, Portland, ca. 1900
- Contributed by Maine Historical Society
- Item 76040
- 3395px x 4435px - 11.3"w x 14.8"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Maine Historical Society
J. H. Wolf clothing store was located at 89 Middle St., Portland, starting in 1884.Show Details
J.H. Wolf was originally opened at 354 Congress St. before moving to Middle Street, where the store occupied a number of different locations until Wolf retired in 1915 and closed the store.
Joseph H. Wolf (1852-1921) was born in Poland and immigrated to Boston in 1869. Wolf was a successful merchant in Portland and was also prominent in the early Portland Jewish community. He built, at his own expense, the first Jewish Synagogue in Portland.