- Item 76 - Shaarey Tphiloh synagogue, Portland, ca. 1911
- Contributed by Maine Historical Society/MaineToday Media
- Item 76
- 3322px x 4615px - 11.1"w x 15.4"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Maine Historical Society/MaineToday Media
Shaarey Tphiloh, which means "Gates of Prayer," served as a center for the Orthodox Jewish Community in Portland early in the 20th century and opened its first synagogue in Maine at 151 Newbury Street, Portland.Show Details
The congregation first met in the fall of 1904, and later moved to 76 Noyes Street as the population shifted into the Deering area.