- Item 75870 - St. Mary's Church, Lewiston, ca. 1925
- Contributed by Maine Historical Society
- Item 75870
- 2924px x 3426px - 9.7"w x 11.4"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Maine Historical Society
A watercolor perspective shows the proposed St. Mary's church to be built on Cedar Street in Lewiston.Show Details
Before Timothy G. O'Connell of O'Connell and Shaw designed the Sts. Peter and Paul Church in Lewiston in 1928, this Boston ecclesiastical firm had already received the commission for St. Mary's Catholic Church on Cedar Street in the same city.
Completed in 1926, St. Mary's is shown in this rendering by Full as located in an open lanscape setting. However this Neo-Gothic granite church was actually sited on Cedar Street in the midst of a densely populated Franco-American working-class neighborhood surrounded by textile mills, mill housing blocks, and tenement houses.
Rev. Eugene Gauthier was the pastor at the time of this rendering (name appears on drawing).