- Item 73783 - Painting of Old Gaol, 1888
- Contributed by Old York Historical Society
- Item 73783
- 850px x 552px - 2.8"w x 1.8"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Old York Historical Society
This painting offers an uphill perspective of the Old York Gaol from the old burying ground or Lindsay Road side. The present building, depicted in this image, was constructed in 1719 to serve the province of Maine. After statehood in 1820 it was used as a county and then local jail. It opened to the public as a museum in 1900 and continues to be managed by the Museums of Old York, as of 2013.Show Details