- Item 73296 - Clear Springs Trout Ponds hatchery, Bar Mills, 1924
- Contributed by Maine Historical Society/MaineToday Media
- Item 73296
- 4409px x 3383px - 14.7"w x 11.3"h @ 300dpi | Need a larger size?
- *Credit line must read: Collections of Maine Historical Society/MaineToday Media
William H. Rowe owned and operated a trout farm in Bar Mills. He and his partner, Frederick Hale, bought the business in 1909, with Mr. Rowe assuming full ownership after Mr. Hale was elected to the U.S. Senate in 1917.Show Details
As of 1924, the trout ponds were stocked with half a million brook and rainbow trout. Mr. Rowe sent mature fish to market, typically in the spring. For example, he sold over five tons of trout in New York City in 1923.
An article on the trout farm appeared in the September 2, 1924 issue of the "Portland Evening Express."